Sunday 9 September 2007

Atonement


Bea says: I've always been a great one for costume drama and "Atonement" didn't disappoint. Floaty dresses, authentic WW2 nurses uniforms, 1930s swimming costumes. I've read "Atonement" (although quite a while ago") and the screenplay seemed relatively faithful to the main events of the story; although there seemed to be a slightly different emphasis placed on certain events (the scene at the end - I don't remember that at all in the book) and characters (Lola was the character that stayed with me long after I finished reading the book). Mostly, the acting was fairly ordinary - with the exception of Vanessa Redgrave, but Cecil will tell you more about that. Enjoyably moving escapism to a different time and a different world; quite sensual too.
***.5


Cecil says: Wonderful story that kept my attention throughout, but I didn't really care about the main characters. Was that Keira Knightly and James McEvoy's acting or the characterisation through the film's way of telling the story: through the eyes of Briony? Briony certainly seemed more real to me than the others and especially when she suddenly becomes transformed into Vanessa Redgrave at the end of the film. And Vanessa? Her few minutes at the end of the film were more powerful than the previous 90 minutes of Keira and James. That voice, that tone, that face: just MADE you listen, transfixed. Whatever you do with this film, don't leave early...
***.5

No comments: