Monday 20 December 2010

King's Speech

Cecil says: The last time I saw a film on my own in the States, it was 25 years ago and it also starred Helena Bonham-Carter. I ended up seeing 'Room with a View' 5 times at the cinema, and after seeing King's Speech last night in a packed cinema in DC I felt exactly the same.

Fantastic cast - Bonham-Carter, Michael Gambon, Colin Firth, Timothy Spall, Jennifer Ehle, Geoffrey Rush, Derek Jacobi and a host of other familiar faces; great script; wonderful story. Just a joy to watch.

I think I'll edit my review once I get a chance to take Bea because I'd love to hear her take on it at the same time. But so much to relate to for me personally: from the early onset stammer, to the forced right handedness (well, that may not be true in my case, but some say it was...); through the soundtrack - I haven't heard 2nd movement on Beethoven's 7th for years and always loved it as a teenager, after it was soundtrack to another film in the 70s...); and I loved above all the massive historical characters (Churchill, Chamberlain, Wallis Simpson, Queen Liz herself) in cameo roles, all superbly acted.

Is it significant that the soon-to-be-closed UK Film Council was so prominent in the credits?

I'll stop there, give it my five stars and say more once Bea has been with me...

*****

No comments: