Sunday 20 March 2011

Rango

Bea says: Travelling around America and visiting independent cinemas wherever we go is certainly making Cecil and me see some films that we normally wouldn't bother with! This week we plumped for Rango, given a choice between that, Gnomeo and Juliet, and Big Momma's House.

Like many women of my age, I am happy to see Johnny Depp in any way, shape or form, so was pleased to see this film "starred" him, and many other big names (Bill Nighy, Alfredo Molina, for example).

My first impression was that the subject matter was rather deep for the large contingent of 6-12 years old who made up the audience; Rango (a chameleon) is accidently released from his aquarium while travelling with his "owners" in their car, and with the help of a wise armadillo and a town full of characters, explores the philosophy of life, crossing the road, and the spirit of the West, finding much out about himself along the way.

A moral tale for our time, the film's focus on the use/misuse of a finite resource (water) reminded me of both the Short Animations we had recently seen, and once again the old Dr Suess book The Lorax - isn't it about time that was turned into an animated film? The animation was computer based, and nicely done (even though everyone/thing had those strange eyes computer animation seems to give), although I thought perhaps Rango could have used his chameleon ability to change colour a bit more often.

The kids enjoyed the action sequences and some of the jokes; the remainder of which were for the benefit of the adults in the audience, with one or two being rather risque. A somewhat over-long film (just under 2 hours when 90 minutes would have been sufficient), many of the younger members of the audience crashed out before the (happy) ending. A kind of kid-friendly, fun version of True Grit.

**1/2

Cecil says: Bea has said it all really. I loved the way I made the 15 year old girl at the box office giggle with my 'funny' accent. I loved entering yet another independent cinema (the Little in Camden, South Carolina, apparently opened by Mr T Lee Little in 1915, and I'm not sure it's had much interior paintwork done since, or the chairs replaced - but it's just a pleasure to have these old cinemas still running, so we don't care).

And, like Bea, I was amazed that this film kept the kids going, though the prettiest member of the audience (apart from Bea, of course) was a little 3 year old in elegant pearls and dress, who was sucking a dummy on her way in, and looked decidely sleepy on her way out, having probably slept through most of it.

The script did not do much for me, I have to say. Trying to be a bit too deep, for the adults. But just sounding pretentious to me. Then a bit risque, as Bea said, or just rather unpleasant with 'clever' references to puttanesca or the prostate.

Five minutes in, I was pretty bored, actually, and was probably more restless than the 6-year-olds.

The storyline picked up half way through as the residents of 'Dirt' fought to get their stolen water back (and a plot of some sort emerged from the philosophy and dirty jokes).

But I didn't really care, I was not very impressed, and was more interested in the decor and audience than I was in what was happening on the big screen in front of me.

*.5

No comments: