Monday 31 October 2011

One Day

Bea says: I saw this one quite a while ago, late one Saturday afternoon when Cecil was away. I went to see it alone, and left feeling very introspective and rather wistful, perhaps even a bit low as it is a sad tale indeed.

Like perhaps everyone of my age (early 40s), I could relate to Anne Hathaway's character - I too was rather clever and a bit of a nerd at university (although I did have plenty of boyfriends), and I too discovered myself more in my 20s and 30s. I could relate to the clothes, the hair and the ups and downs of life. Although I don't really have anyone in my life quite like Dexter, there are of course a few "maybes" or "might-have-beens". So far, so predictable.

What was less predictable for me (as I haven't read the book) was the plot twist which saw a different outcome than the usual and predictable romantic comedy format; instead moving the film into tearjerker format. I didn't shed many - if any - tears though. I was just left with an overwhelming sadness for those amongst us who have to go on despite loss. And that made me think about all my own losses - hence introspection, wistfulness, and a rather low feeling. Not a bad feeling, just a low feeling.

Overall a rather good film, although people tell me the book is better (aren't they always?). I kind of wish they'd given an up and coming Yorkshire actress a go at the leading role. Even I, as an Australian, was irritated by Hathaway's (lack of a) Yorkshire accent!
***
Cecil says: Bea is right about the Yorkshire accent. In fact, it was only some way into the film that I remembered someone telling me that she was supposed to be from Yorkshire (and actually we learn nothing about her family at all throughout the film). Hathaway's attempt at an English accent was pretty good, really, but then she'd suddenly remember to pronounce 'luck' like 'look' and you'd realise again that this is supposed to be a Yorkshire lass. Yes, either find a Yorkshire actress or just forget Yorkshire and have Hathaway as the nice English rose she was playing...

There's something about films that very conspicuously take you year by year through a retrospective of someone's life. It almost forces the viewer to say: "Ah, yes, 1992. That was the year I was ...". And to relive those awkward, character-building moments of your own development as you witness the lives of these two on screen.

I had to wonder what the mainly pensioner audience I watched this with in Darlington made of it all. What were they doing in 1988? or 2005? It didn't stop them packing the cinema on a gloomy Monday morning, though, and 70 or so bums were on seats for this Seniors screening, served up with free coffee, tea and biscuits. Excellent initiative by the Darlington Odeon.

There is a sadness hanging over the whole film, though, as Bea says. Sure, there are the 'wasted years' we have all had in relationships that weren't going anywhere, and that was powerfully portrayed in Emma's relationship with the hapless stand-up comedian. But, it is poor Dexter, from the rather privileged background (and my God, how many of those did I cross paths with during my university days), who never quite escapes from the directionless emptiness, even with his nice connection to his daughter right at the end.

There were some moments that didn't come across as very likely to happen in reality, like the timing of Emma's break-up with the jazz pianist and her running after Dexter, but overall this film worked well, with lovely soundtrack and nice shots of Edinburgh at the beginning and end.
****

No comments: