Saturday 2 June 2018

Phantom Thread

Seen at the Star Cinema, Eaglehawk


Cecil says: Phantom Thread is supposedly Daniel Day-Lewis's last film, so it felt like a time to reflect a bit on him as an actor. And what's funny is that, although he was amazingly good again in this film, where he's the control freakery tailor designing dresses for the uber rich of the 1950s, neither of us could remember other films we'd seen him in, except for Room with a View, where Cecil remains one of our most loved characters on film.

The thing about Day-Lewis is that he is a method actor, getting totally into role, living the life of his character before filming begins. I remember an article about him preparing to play the role of a boxer and sparring with a professional boxing champ to get into the experience. I never saw that film, and as I say I can't remember other films he's been in, but maybe that's because he becomes the character rather than staying in the mind as Daniel Day-Lewis. And if Cecil in Room with a View is the exception to that, maybe Cecil IS Daniel Day-Lewis, or vice-versa…I guess we'll never know.

So to Phantom Thread. This is all about the relationship between Reynolds (DDL) and Alma (Vicky Krieps, an actress I didn't know before, but who did a great job as counterweight to Reynolds) Neither character is especially likeable and both seem very driven, so it feels as if it can't possibly end well really, especially with Cyril (Lesley Manville), who I just learnt in writing this review is Reynolds' sister, gatekeeping and mentoring all in one.

The dress-making is superb, though the Society crowd they are designing for are an unattractive lot. And deep down, Reynolds cares nothing for them. His reaction to one monied lady who collapses drunk in one of his finest dresses is pretty horrible, though. As are many of his reactions to things Alma does and noises Alma makes etc. But then Alma too is somehow troubled and controlling. She works behind the scenes to get what she wants out of the relationship, even while saying to her confessor that she has given herself totally to Reynolds.

I'm glad we saw Phantom Thread before it left the cinema circuit. We watched it in the amazing Star Cinema in Eaglehawk, which is set up with sofas and armchairs only in an old town hall building. That set-up gives a real lounge room feel, which can work both ways, as the couple next to us at first clearly chatter their way through films at home, and continued to do so in the Star. We moved a few seats away to get ourselves out of earshot.

***
Bea says: Highly disturbing.  I like Day-Lewis, history, and I am a keen crafter, so thought I would love this period film about sewing and couture.  And I liked some aspects of it, but I didn’t like any of the characters very much, and that made it hard to invest in the film.  Reynolds is cold and controlling, Vicky is bordering on psychopathic, and Cyril is remote and unpredictable.  It was well done – beautifully made, exquisite costuming (although I thought I saw some puckers that wouldn’t be in such a bespoke garment?  Maybe I imagined them), fantastic performances and well written.  But it left me cold; cold, clinical and too perfect is how I would describe this film, to its detriment, unless that was the aim (and I suspect it was).

***1/2

No comments: