Monday 6 January 2020

Little Women

Seen at the Village Cinemas, Geelong


Bea says: We saw this on New Year’s Day at the lovely Village cinemas complex in Geelong.  It was a clear, cloudless day after the sad and devastating bushfire news in Australia, and we were in need of a pick-me-up.  After a coffee and a walk on the sea front, we headed in to a relatively busy theatre to watch this latest iteration of Louisa May Alcott’s book.

Now, I am a fan of Alcott’s work and have read all four books in the series as a child/young person (I had a vintage hardcover four book set which I think were my mother’s or aunt’s originally).  I re-read the first two books, Little Women and Good Wives, very often growing up and have seen (I think) every film and TV version made over the years.  I’ve also read some of Alcott’s other work, most notably her novella about nursing in the Civil War in a Washington DC hospital, during the period when we lived there.  However, Cecil and I have watched director Greta Gerwig’s work from early on as well, having seen and reviewed Frances Ha on this very blog.

I’m afraid I was underwhelmed with this version of Little Women.  I’m not sure what it added to the canon.  Its main claim to “innovation” was to tell the story in flashback and move back and forth in time.  Whilst this is a modern (post-modern in fact) approach to storytelling, and one I usually enjoy, it didn’t really work for me in the adaptation of this particular piece of fiction.  Little Women (the book) is a narrative that centres on the growth and personal development of the four sisters – in the actual book, this theme is likened to the Pilgrim’s Progress, the Christmas gift all fours girls are given at the book’s opening.  It is not just a series of connected, cosy stories about four young people growing up.  This theme of progress and self-development is actually what is behind the book’s eternal appeal, as otherwise it would just be too light, pleasant but instantly forgettable.  Whilst Gerwig tried to show this development in the way the flashbacks were arranged (Jo’s anger at Amy after the book-burning incident is more or less juxtaposed with (spoiler alert!) her marriage to Laurie, for example), because we didn’t have some of the subtler development that is shown through stories that focus on the other sisters in between, the impact was somewhat lost for me.

But it is hard to mess this book up in adaptation – the storyline is very strong indeed, but that is thanks to Alcott, not Gerwig I’m afraid.  Despite my familiarity with the events of the story, I still shed a tear when (spoiler alert!) Beth dies, and feel Jo’s despair and loneliness when things don’t go so well for her with the trip to Europe and Laurie.

I didn’t think the casting combined with the direction was particularly appropriate either.  Emily Watson may have done better as Jo than Saoirse Ronan – she is a perhaps a stronger actress.  

Contrary to popular opinion, I didn’t enjoy Florence Pugh as Amy – I didn’t think she looked young enough to play Amy as a child.  Timothee Chalamet as Laurie looked far too young for either Ronan or Pugh which made their love relationships difficult to believe.  Louis Garrel as Professor Bhaer also looked too young (he is supposed to be middle aged, although admittedly in the 1860s that was probably younger than it is now) and annoyingly spoke with a French rather than German accent throughout.  It was nice to see Laura Dern on screen again, and she gave it a good go, but I felt she was perhaps being held back.  Meryl Streep was perfect as always.

I’m afraid Gillian Anderson’s 1994 version still wins out for me; as does the less referenced but wonderful BBC mini-series that was only released in 2017.  I would also very much like to watch the 1949 version again now – I haven’t seen it for many years.

Seeing this film made me think of that other great series of young women growing up I read as a child – Little House on the Prairie.  Although slightly done to death in the 1970s TV series, I am quite surprised no one has thought to give this the modern (or post-modern) film treatment yet…

***

Cecil says: I can’t add much to what Bea has already said.

The casting was appalling, especially the young men, not just because they had little presence on screen, and came across more like school kids than deep-thinking intellectuals, but also as Bea says, with the accents: what on earth are we doing with a French actor (with French accent) playing a German professor. And I’m afraid Chalamet looks as if he’s barely shaving yet, let alone wooing two (or three even?) of the sisters.

The constant back-and-forth of the narrative drove me mad, mainly because it was so hard to know whether we were looking at current time in the narrative or some year earlier; the time difference being quite small meant little in the way of makeup used to distinguish how the actors looked. I must have lost the plot for a few seconds ten times through the film, and as Bea says, it’s a plot we theoretically know very well…

To be positive about something in this film, I did like the way Beth was portrayed by Gerwig, with Eliza Scanlen in the role. Her illness is always moving in every version I have seen, and the scenes with her piano playing are always lovely.

I actually hadn’t noticed before the distinctive talents of three of the sisters: Jo writing; Beth music and Amy art. That kind of leaves Meg rather talentless, though, and she is the one who craves above all else a typical homely life, so maybe that is intentional in Alcott’s work? I don’t remember the ball scene so well from other versions of Little Women, where Meg has her Coming Out, but I quite warmed to Emily Watson in the role.

I can’t agree with Bea on the idea of Watson playing Jo instead of Saoirse Ronan. Ronan does ‘plain’ far better than I can imagine Watson managing it, and actually far more convincingly than someone like Winona Ryder, who couldn’t be plain even with the best of makeup artists…

So overall, I can only give this version of Little Women two stars, even though I know the story is a five star one.

**

No comments: