Wednesday 18 March 2020

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Seen by Cecil at the Lido Cinema, Hawthorn, Melbourne Australia & by Bea at the Glasgow Film Theatre, Scotland

Cecil says: The older he gets, the more I find I’m enjoying Tom Hanks’ acting. Maybe that’s just me getting older, too, and relating, but I’m seeing more depth and more layers to his characters than I ever remember in earlier roles.

In Neighborhood, he’s great as Mr Rogers, the children’s TV presenter, known and loved by several generations of Americans, and with a canny knack of tuning into the real needs of each person he connects with.

Funnily enough, the kids TV programmes I thought about as I watched the film were Trumpton and Camberwick Green, the UK equivalent in the 1960s, with model people and buildings, and daily goings-on behind the doors. The windows he opened and the voice he used reminded me more of Play School, but that was for an even younger audience back then.

The main character in this film, though, Lloyd Vogel, is a rather unappealing 40 year old journalist who has a long-suffering wife, a small baby and a Dad he has massive anger towards. His task is to profile Mr Rogers for a magazine feature on ‘heroes’, and he tries to probe under the smiling, calm surface of Rogers to get to the real man underneath.

On the way he has massive fights with his Dad, treats his wife uncaringly and just came across to me as someone who needed a good dose of psychotherapy to get all those demons out in a safe place, rather than taking them out on people around him. I found him a totally unsympathetic character, so had no empathy for his situation, and certainly no tears when things went even further wrong for the man.

Rogers smoothly glances aside any probing questions from Vogel, saying only that he is only human himself, and finds an outlet for any frustrations he may have comes in thrashing down hard on the deepest bass keys of his piano. And there’s a scene very late on in the film, where we see Rogers do just that: so is that just him letting off steam after a hard day? Or is it a hint that maybe there are darker layers to the guy than we get to see in the film? We’ll never know, but it was an interesting moment, and I give the guy the benefit of the doubt…

***

Bea says: I saw Neighborhood at the Glasgow Film Theatre and went knowing very little about it other than it was Tom Hanks’ latest outing.  I thought, from the title, that it would be some kind of happy, pleasant film – and in some ways it was, but it was actually very, very emotionally intense as well. 

Not being American, I know little of Mr Rogers other than that he is/was a popular children’s entertainer from the 1960s-80s.  The insights into his motivation for this – helping children deal with deep and difficult emotions such as anxiety – was interesting. 

Our modern times are complex and difficult indeed – I sat grimacing throughout as I expected Lloyd Vogel’s investigative journalism to uncover some dreadful deed along the lines of those children’s television presenters who have more recently fallen from grace.  But this does not happen, and I was so relieved that it did not.  In a way, this was the only light relief the film had for me – Lloyd is not an overly likeable character but his difficult childhood and family life help to explain that, and his journey of self-discovery as he gets to know Mr Rogers better is heavy but at least ends well.

Tom Hanks is very good – again, perhaps I have been programmed by our modern times but I did find him slightly creepy in this role….maybe that was intentional?  I wasn’t alone, as the cinema usher told me the same thing on the way out.

I suspect the awards surrounding this film are nostalgic and to do with Americans remembering their Mr Rogers years fondly, although the story and acting are very good. 

My main or only critique was that It was surprisingly poor on the Bechtel however…I would have liked to see or hear a bit more from the female characters.

However, recommended.

***.5

No comments: