Wednesday 21 July 2021

Six Minutes to Midnight

 Seen at the Lumiere Cinema in Christchurch, New Zealand

Cecil went it alone for this one (and the next 3).

Cecil says: Great opening scene to this movie set just days before the start of the Second World War along the south coast of England.

The mood of that scene is very Graham Greene, as a man searches desperately for something hidden behind a row of books - is it money or something more concrete? Whatever it is makes him scarper on his push bike and into the local town where the next scene has him taking a deck-chair on the pier, and before you know it his hat is floating up into the air beyond the pier.

It’s a great scene-setter for this spy story starring the ever-brilliant Judi Dench, the increasingly visible Eddie Izzard (who co-wrote the screenplay - is he trying to be a new Kenneth Branagh, producing material he can feature in?), and the rather wonderful Carla Juri, who reminded me terribly of a close friend now gone, though it was good to remember her in every scene involving Ilse.

The story holds up well in classic spy-style, keeping us guessing always who the baddies and who the goodies are. My only question mark was over one of the school girls, Astrid - we aren’t really shown where her change of heart emerges from at the end.

I’m still not 100% convinced by Eddie Izzard. I felt he was more at ease playing a character probably nearer to the real him in Boy Choir. In this one he almost carried it off as the half-German spy taking a job as English teacher in a school where the girls are all linked to the Nazi regime back in Germany.

But there was something missing somehow and I can’t tell if it was in the writing or in the acting, or is it me? I mean, I should be able to relate, as the role he plays is very much the kind of role I might have been called on to play if I had lived in those tense times, but somehow I didn’t feel immersed totally in the action or the storyline (unlike for example in Remains of the Day); I was conscious throughout of watching a film and observing from the outside.

It made me wonder what Judi Dench made of the script. She was fantastic as always, as the slightly naive principal of the college, but could she see the slight weakness in the screenplay when she first saw it?

How could we have learned more about Mr Miller and Ilse’s past or their relationship? Would that have helped?

It’s an intriguing tale, based apparently on true events, though the credits at the very end claim the characters are all fictitious. I enjoyed it, and loved seeing it on my first real holiday break since Covid started almost 18 months ago.

***

No comments: