Saturday 28 December 2019

Journey to a Mother's Room

Seen at the Forum Theatre, Melbourne, as part of MIFF 2019

Bea says: We saw this as part of the wonderful Melbourne International Film Festival, at the Forum Theatre.  

The film is the exploration of the relationship between a fairly recently bereaved woman and her young adult daughter.  We follow both their transformations out of this time of grief - the daughter's failed attempt to follow her mother's footsteps at the local textile factory before trying her luck as a nanny in London, and the mother's slow recovery of her skills, meaning and purpose as she is commissioned to sew the costumes for a dance troupe. 

 Their journeys are not equally paced which is what made this film interesting for me, and at times the daughter strides ahead, only to have a a disappointment and return home to find her mother has rebuilt a bit more of her life successfully.

Really quite a lovely story of mother-daughter relationships, leaving home and dealing with loss.

Recommended.

***.5

Cecil says: I was less drawn into this film than Bea, but I loved the venue and was transfixed by the decor of this extraordinary theatre even while the film's slow pace lost me at times.

Films about dealing with grief are never going to be lively, uplifting stories, and I think the scenes in the apartment reminded me too strongly of some of my depressed moments when I lived in a very similar flat in Pamplona in Spain when I got my first job after leaving Uni. There's something about Spanish furniture which weighs down on me for some reason.

***

No comments: