Saturday 28 December 2019

Julia Blue

Seen at the Glasgow Contemporary Arts Centre during the Glasgow Film Festival

Cecil says: We wanted to see Julia Blue partly because we had planned to travel through Ukraine in 2014 on our overland journey to Australia, but had to cancel because of what was happening in the Crimea and the east of the country. But I also always like the drama genre when it involves a journalist at work in places that have hit the news – it’s the kind of film like The Year of Living Dangerously, that used to inspire me to be a journalist one day myself.

It also happened to fit in with our schedule in Glasgow so we could go straight to this film from another morning screening earlier.

It was great to see a Ukrainian perspective on things, especially as the country has been out of the news in the West lately, but the Troubles are still ongoing. Having said that, this was very much a coming-of-age film with Ukraine really the context rather than the subject-matter for the film.

Budding photo-journalist Julia helps out at a rehab hospital for men wounded in the war, and there she meets and falls for a guy from Donetsk. The film is a sweet portrayal of developing romance, where Julia is the main focus, she has girly catch-ups with a fellow student, a boy back in her village who fell in love with her years before, and her application to go to Germany for a full-on photo-journalism degree.

She has a big decision to make, tossing up between her romance and her career. It’s the classic dilemma nearly all 20 year olds come up against, so brought back memories of my own conflicts over such things back in the 80s.

But it resonated for me also because of so many reminders of things we saw when doing that overland journey to Australia. The pot-holed roads reminded me of Uzbekistan; the buses and taxis were reminiscent of the same in Romania or Georgia; the buildings could have been anywhere we visited in the ex-Soviet Union; and the family dinner in the rural village reminded me of our own invitation to a family in Azerbaijan.

I couldn’t help noticing that the ‘parents’ looked so old, but were probably actually younger than I am even now, but that can be as much to do with clothes and hairstyle as it is actual ageing.

So I enjoyed this film as much for the memories and thoughts it provoked in me as for its actual content. Having said that, it did make me think that coming-of-age movies were few and far between when I was coming of age myself. I can only really think of American Graffiti, as being contemporary to my life, though I didn’t even drive at the time and had none of those tribal things that were depicted in that 1970s classic.

No, I liked Julia Blue, and it was nice that the producer and director were there for a chat afterwards in the bar. They did really well with crowdfunding for this film, as the credits showed at the end. I wish there were more films like this on the circuit, too.

***.5

Bea says: An altogether very nice film about a young woman in her twenties breaking away from tradition and expectations (her friend's marriage symbolising that very strongly indeed) and forging her own, more adventurous path.

Like Cecil, I enjoyed the scenery and reminders of our own travels through that part of the world, but this film also gave me pause for thought about some of the conflict-ridden times of recent history - in our part of the world this kind of storyline (help out at a military hospital, meet an injured soldier) belongs to WW2 period films, perhaps occasionally to Vietnam or maybe Afghanistan (don't think I know of any though), but for many parts of the world this is very current to a young person's experience.  This is why it is important to see international films...\

***.5

No comments: