Saturday 28 December 2019

The Keeper

Seen at the wonderful Balwyn Theatre in Melbourne

Cecil says: I knew I’d enjoy The Keeper, and I wasn’t at all disappointed. In fact, it’s the kind of film I could probably see five times and still not tire of it. A really lovely cinematic experience at the really lovely art deco Balwyn Theatre in Melbourne.

So Bert Trautmann had stopped playing by the time I got into football at the tender age of 7, but I realise now that he had only just retired, and in fact was still managing teams in England at that point. 

His story was well enough known, though, for me to have the basics from my childhood education: German POW stays in England, gets a break into football at the highest level, and plays a Cup Final at Wembley where he breaks his neck but heroically (and with a massive dose of good luck) carries on playing.

I even didn’t remember that he played for Manchester City, but clearly if you are a Man City fan, he is a bit of an icon, and amazingly even down in the heart of Melbourne, 10,000 miles away from MCR, there are fans who came to see The Keeper, as a father/son duo in the front row were decked out in full Man City gear. I shook their hand at the end of the film!

How a film begins is so important to set the tone, I think. And I loved the opening scenes of The Keeper: first scene was of a wartime dance floor in northern England; lots of lively jivers who have to stop dancing because the air raid siren sounds; then we switch to a battle front, with tired and scared-looking German soldiers walking through a wood, where they get ambushed.

And that’s one of the beautiful things about this film. Right from the start it gives you an insight into two sides of the story: how it felt day-to-day in war-weary England, with POW camps in town and the reaction to a German – even a good footballing German – getting involved in the community after the war. But also how it felt from the German perspective, both among the fellow POWs until the war ended, and then how it was to be that German trying to fit in and fall in love among people who perceive you as the enemy still.

All powerful stuff. And so well casted with David Kross excellent as Trautmann and Freya Mavor (was in Sunshine on Leith) very good also as Margaret. John Henshaw was really realistic also as the father and football coach in dank, dark northern England in post-war.

Some scenes didn’t work as well for me – like the big discussion between the couple some months after the tragedy of losing their son – but as Bea pointed out to me, the stilted dialogue might well have been true to the time, when people’s self-awareness and communication skills were not as advanced as today, not to mention emotional literacy.

But this is a moving film about milestones in individual lives and milestones in history, with some great football footage thrown in, and I particularly loved the vintage image of muddy pitches, those proper jerseys footballers wore in those days, and the massive crowds of men in flat caps totally exposed to the rain. Ah it was a different world back then.

I must see this film again.

*****

Bea says: I wasn't overly keen on seeing this as i thought it would be an overdose on football, and being that bit younger than Cecil, I didn't know anything about Bert Trautmann at all.

But -  l loved it, would be happy to watch it multiple times and we bought my parents the DVD for Christmas.  

This is possibly because there are some cultural reference points for me - although the era and place was different, my UK mother married a German migrant, and as a result there were many aspects of the story, their relationship, wider family acceptance and societal attitudes that felt very relatable to me.  

But even without that, this film has a bit of something for everyone I think.  Bert's story is definitely a lesson in stoicism and keeping on going without complaint.  2019 has been a stressful year for me, and that was a helpful message for me to hear.  The couple face some very difficult times, and not everything works out rosily in the end - but it works out, and that is life.  

Some great vintage costumes too!
****.5

No comments: